08/08/2016 0 Comments
Some Great Sleeping Tips for People with Sciatica
Sciatica is an absolutely painful condition which may affect from your lower back, right down your legs. The painful symptoms can occur at any time, night or day, and they can stop you from doing the things that you need to or want to do. It can be particularly difficult to get a good night’s rest when you are suffering from this condition. However, you really don’t have to suffer too much as long as you make use of these great tips for sleeping.
- Keep your knees elevated while sleeping so that you can minimalize the pressure that your lumbar discs place on your nerve roots. That way, your lower back won’t be compressed of irritated.
- Lie on your back and keep your buttocks and heels flat on the bed as well. Now slightly bend your knees up to the ceiling.
- Place a pillow under your knees to help support them.
- Keep trying until you find the proper position or the number of pillows you need for your satisfaction.
- Make sure and have a nice, warm bath before you go to bed because that can help to release endorphins which fight pain and relax the muscles.
- Ensure that the water you use isn’t too hot, because that may make it too hard for you to fall asleep.
- Follow good sleep hygiene which includes a nightly sleep schedule.
- Try applying other heat therapy options, like a hot water bottle or an adhesive back wrap to your lower back area or to your buttocks.
- You should probably reconsider the mattress you sleep on because it may actually worsen your sciatica symptoms.
- Avoid sleeping directly on the floor because this may actually be quite unsanitary. Spread a yoga mat or some other spread.
- Try getting a firmer mattress to sleep on or try removing the box springs from underneath your bed.
If you are looking for a chiropractor in Stouffville, then you have come to the right place. We can help you with your pain relief and getting back to living a completely healthy life. We can help naturally take away your pain and leave you feeling great at our chiropractic office in Stouffville.